The County classifies an Attached Patio Cover as an attached accessory structure, which is defined as a detached structure containing no kitchen or cooking facilities, located upon the same lot as the building or use to which it is accessory, and the use of which is customarily incidental, appropriate and subordinate to the use of the principal building or to the principal use of the lot. (This must not be confused with a gazebo, which is classified as a detached patio cover). Also, it is important to note that lattice patio covers do not count towards maximum allowed lot coverage, while solid roof patios do count towards this.
To determine the type of planning permit required for a proposed patio cover, you must determine if your project site is located in a coastal or non-coastal area.
For project sites located in non-coastal areas, attached accessory structures that conform to sections 8105-4, 8106-1.1, 8106-5.1, 8106-5.2, 8106-7.4, and 8106-8.3 of the Non-Coastal Zoning Ordinance are permitted on all residentially zoned parcels. However, for project sites located in coastal areas, accessory structures are permissible on condition of conformity to sections 8175-2, 8175-3.6 and 8175-4.1 of the Coastal Zoning Ordinance.
- Accessory Structures, which are located in the non-coastal zone and meet the requirements in the Non-Coastal Zoning Ordinance, require the issuance of a Zoning Clearance. Please fill out a Zoning Clearance Application and bring this with a set of site plans (include one set of 8.5”x11” reductions), floor plans, and elevation drawings to the Planning Public Counter at the County Government Center. To obtain the exact fee for a Zoning Clearance for a Patio Cover at your project site, please contact a planner at the Planning Public Counter at (805) 654-2488.
- Accessory Structures, which are located in the coastal zone and meet the requirements in the Coastal Zoning Ordinance, may require the issuance of a Coastal Planned Development Permit (or a modification to an existing permit) by the Planning Director (unless it is in an exempt area*, or under 400 square feet in area), following environmental review and notification to neighbors. To obtain the necessary application materials and information about the approval process and fees for Coastal accessory structures, please contact a planner at the Planning Public Counter at (805) 654-2488.
- See Sec. 8105-4; Sec. 8106-1.1; Sec. 8106-5.1; Sec. 8106-5.2; Sec. 8106-7.4; Sec. 8106-8.3 of the Non-Coastal Zoning Ordinance
- See Sec. 8175-2; Sec. 8175-3.6; Sec. 8175-4.1of the Coastal Zoning Ordinance
- See Sec. 8174-5 of the Coastal Zoning Ordinance for Exempt Areas