On September 21, 2012, Governor Brown signed into law legislation known as the "Cottage Food Bill" (AB 1616) that became law on January 1, 2013. This bill allows that certain non-potentially hazardous foods can be prepared within and sold from a private home provided certain requirements are met.
Click here to see a list of eligible foods.
To get started, click on the Cottage Food Operation Flowchart link below to see if your business qualifies and which category it will fall into. Once you have made a determination, you can download the appropriate application form below. Applications should be submitted with the required documentation and fee by mail or in-person at the Environmental Health Division public service counter.
- Approved Cottage Food list - CDPH
- Cottage Food Operation Flowchart - PDF
- Cottage Food Operation Information - PDF
- Cottage Food Operation: Frequently Asked Questions - PDF
- Cottage Food Operation Class A Requirements & Application - PDF
- Cottage Food Operation Class B Requirements & Application - PDF