An onsite wastewater treatment system (OWTS), also referred to as a septic system, is used for the disposal of wastewater from structures that do not have access to a public sewer / wastewater treatment utility. The Environmental Health Division (Division) Liquid Waste Program is tasked with protecting public health and the environment from the potential adverse health and environmental impacts associated with OWTS.
Liquid Waste Program staff review OWTS design proposals and design criteria, and inspect both new OWTS construction and repairs of existing systems to ensure conformance with all applicable codes. There are three basic applications for OWTS in Ventura County: 1) design review/approval for new conventional and alternative systems, 2) construction or repair permits for conventional and alternative systems, and 3) certifications of existing systems.
Please click the link below to view document imaged information for OWTS in the County:
- Click here for: Online Record Search
The State of California is experiancing a housing crisis and has passed legislation to help address this issue. Please read this handout on Frequently Asked Questions: OWTS and Accessory Dwelling Units (PDF) for information on septic systems and accessory dwelling units (ADU) in the unincorporated areas of Ventura County.
PLEASE CLICK ON THE BOXES BELOW TO LEARN MORE ABOUT OWTS SERVICES AND TO HELP DETERMINE THE CORRECT APPLICATION MATERIALS TO SUBMIT FOR REVIEW:
Instructions for Submitting Your OWTS Application:
- Complete the appropriate application and ensure all associated documents have been completed (i.e., soils report, site plan, legal declarations, etc.). Please read applicant instructions printed at top of the application carefully for a complete list of required documentation for each application. Incomplete applications will not be processed. Click on the boxes above to find the applications and additional forms/information required for your submittal.
- There are three options to submit an OWTS application packet:
- OPTION 1 - Electronic Submittal:
- OPTION 2 - Public Counter: OPEN ON MONDAY, WEDNESDAY, AND FRIDAY WITHOUT APPOINTMENT
Submit in-person at the Division’s Public Counter. The Division's Public Counter is located on the 3rd floor of the Hall of Administration at the Government Center located at 800 S. Victoria Ave., Ventura, CA 93009-1730.
- OPTION 3 - Submit by Mail:
Submit application, all required documents, and applicable review/permit fee to the Ventura County Environmental Health Division 800 S. Victoria Ave., Ventura, CA 93009-1730. Applications submitted via mail without the correct review/permit fee payment will not be processed and will be returned to the applicant.
- OPTION 1 - Electronic Submittal:
- Once the application, all required documentation, and the review/permit fee has been received, the Liquid Waste staff specialist assigned to the project will contact you.
Click here for the Current OWTS Fee Schedule.
Do you have OWTS technical questions and want to meet with Liquid Waste Program staff in person?
Contact the Liquid Waste Program staff to schedule an appointment! Please see the information below to contact the Liquid Waste Program staff assigned to your project area:
|Casitas Springs, El Rio, Fillmore, Frazier Park, La Conchita, Lockwood Valley,
Malibu, Ojai, Oxnard, Piru, Saticoy, Santa Paula, Ventura
|Bell Canyon, Camarillo, Chatsworth, Hidden Valley, Moorpark, Newbury Park, Santa Rosa Valley, Santa Susana, Simi Valley, Somis, Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village|
Email to Submit Application
The Division is the authority with jurisdiction for OWTS in unincorporated Ventura County only. If your system is located within city limits, please contact the appropriate city building department for information on OWTS permits or to report a complaint related to an OWTS.
Liquid Waste Program staff do not perform OWTS assessments for real estate transfers.