Home-generated medical waste includes home-generated pharmaceutical waste and home-generated sharps waste. Home-generated sharps waste includes hypodermic needles, pen needles, intravenous needles, lancets and other devices that are used to penetrate the skin for the delivery of medications derived from a household, including a multifamily residence or household. Home-generated sharps waste also includes sharps used to deliver medication to pets. The California Medical Waste Management Act prohibits the disposal of home-generated sharps into any container used for the collection of regular trash, recycling or green waste.
Please click the following links for information on how to properly and safely dispose of your home-generated sharps and pharmaceutical wastes:
- Don't Get Stuck With Used Sharps - Home-generated sharps waste disposal locations
- Pharmaceutical Drop-Off Locations for Residents Only - For unwanted or expired medication only
- Household Hazardous Waste Facilities in Ventura County - County Integrated Waste Management Division
- Sharps Waste Disposal - CalRecycle
- Home-Generated Sharps Waste - California Department of Public Health
Medical Waste Program Contacts