Case No.: PL15-0106
Applicant: RI-NU Services, LLC., Tim Koziol
Project Address: 815 Mission Rock Road, unincorporated area of Santa Paula
Project Assessor’s Parcel No.: 099-0-060-565
Planning Staff Contacts:
Summary of Project Description
RI-NU Services, LLC requests to update and reestablish a Conditional Use Permit to operate a wastewater treatment facility at 815 Mission Rock Road. This facility would continue to accept wastewater, such as, but not limited to, porta-potty waste, septic tank waste, and oilfield wastewater. The wastewater will be treated onsite to separate solids and liquids, consolidate the treated wastes and then truck the treated wastes to off-site permitted disposal facilities.
In addition to the request to reinstate the CUP, the applicant proposes some modifications to the operation:
- The facility will be expanded by 1.67 acres, for a total of 6.65 acres to make space for a new laboratory, equipment, and onsite truck circulation;
- The process for treating porta potty waste and septic waste (i.e., domestic waste) will be conducted within enclosed equipment to minimize odorous emissions;
- Re-design the layout and operations of the facility so that the treatment and processing equipment are located further from the agricultural areas that are next to the project site;
- The facility will no longer accept any wastewater contained in plastic storage containers called totes;
- Add four new buildings: an office, laboratory, hazardous materials storage building, and employee breakroom;
- Add a new septic system to service the office restroom and the laboratory restroom;
- Establish employee hours with three shifts over a 24-hour day. Waste hauling trucks will operate Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.;
- Establish a maximum number of truck trips to 100 per day with an overall maximum of 500 trucks per week.
- Limit the daily quantity of wastewater received and treated onsite by restricting the size and number of delivery trucks. RI-NU Services, LLC proposes to reload the wastewater delivery trucks with haul away treated water to off-site disposal facilities (referred to as “back-hauling”) in order to limit the number of total truck trips coming and going from the site.
The complete project description can be accessed HERE
The project site plan, floor plans and elevation plans can be accessed HERE
Application Submittal and Environmental Review
The most current project application was submitted to the Planning Division in October 2020 and was deemed a complete application in May 2021. The County of Ventura Planning Division reviewed the proposed project and conducted an initial environmental review. Based on this review, it was determined that the project could have negative impacts to the adjacent agriculture and have issues arise with the storage and handling of hazardous materials that are used during the treatment process. The County Planning Division has come up with feasible (achievable and enforceable) protective measures that would avoid and/or reduce these potential problems to an acceptable level. RI-NU Services LLC has agreed to implement these protective measures and conduct the wastewater treatment operation in compliance with the terms of the Conditional Use Permit. For these reasons the County Planning Division has prepared a draft Mitigated Negative Declaration (MND) as the project’s CEQA document. There will be a 45-day public review period for the draft Mitigated Negative Declaration, starting on October 14, 2021 and ending at 5 p.m. on November 30, 2021. The draft MND can be viewed on the Planning Division website at https://vcrma.org/mitigated-negative-declarations or at the County of Ventura, Resource Management Agency, Planning Division, Hall of Administration Building, 800 S. Victoria Ave., Ventura, CA 93009, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
A community meeting was held on Monday, November 8, 2021 by the Ventura County Planning Division to provide an overview of the proposed project and seek public comments on the draft environmental document prepared for the project. View the November 8, 2021, community meeting in English and Spanish at the following links:
For a list of Frequently Asked Questions in English, please click here.
For a list of Frequently Asked Questions in Spanish, please click here.
Potential Project Processing Timeline:
- Summer 2021: Public Review of Environmental Document (MND)
- Fall 2021: Finalize Environmental Document (MND) and Preparation of Staff Report and Recommended Conditions of Approval
- Early 2022: Public Hearing Process, Planning Comission and Board of Supervisors Public Hearings