On October 12, 2021, the County of Ventura Board of Supervisors adopted the County’s 2021-2029 Housing Element. On October 14, 2021, Planning Staff submitted the adopted Housing Element to the Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) for their mandatory 90-day review for certification purposes. On December 22, 2021, HCD certified the County’s 2021-2029 Housing Element.
The 2021-2029 Housing Element consists of the following three documents:
- General Plan, Chapter 3 – Housing Element
- General Plan, Chapter 12 – Glossary and Acronyms
- General Plan Background Report, Chapter 5 - Housing
The County, along with all California cities and counties, is required to adequately plan to meet the housing needs of everyone in the unincorporated communities, and to update its housing plan every eight years. The Housing Element is a mandated element of the County’s General Plan and is the only element that must be updated on a set schedule and then certified by the State.
The foundation for the Housing Element is the Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA), in which the State estimates each region’s housing needs for all income groups for the upcoming eight years. Each region then determines how much of the region's total housing needs will be assigned to each city and county within the region. Jurisdictions do not construct the housing units but are required by the State to demonstrate in their planning documents that enough land is properly zoned to accommodate the identified existing and future housing needs within the planning period.
Ventura County falls within the Southern California Association of Governments, or SCAG region. The County's portion of the SCAG RHNA target for the 2021-2029 Housing Element period is 1,262 housing units. This housing goal is further broken down by income category. The Housing Element Update FAQ provides more detailed information on the RHNA targets assigned to the County by income group. For more information on RHNA and the RHNA allocation process, visit the SCAG website.
The 2021-2029 Housing Element is the sixth update to the Housing Element and is sometimes referred to as the 6th Cycle Housing Element. In this Housing Element, the County must identify enough potentially developable land zoned for residential use to meet the County’s new RHNA housing targets and must provide goals, objectives, policies, and programs to meet the housing needs of its citizens.
Contents of the Housing Element
The Housing Element typically includes seven major components, including the following:
- Housing Needs Assessment: Provides demographic and housing need information for the County.
- Constraints Analysis: Analyzes existing and potential constraints to the development of housing and how those will be addressed.
- Evaluation of Past Performance: Assesses the County’s progress in implementing the policies and programs set forth in the prior Housing Element.
- Housing Sites Inventory and Analysis: Identifies sites available for development or redevelopment and that are appropriately zoned to support housing development in order to accommodate the County’s RHNA.
- Housing Resources: Identifies financial and other resources available to support housing development, especially affordable housing.
- Policies and Programs: Establishes new policies and programs designed to address the housing needs identified in the County unincorporated areas.
- Community Outreach: Discusses the community involvement efforts done as part of the Housing Element update process, including outreach to all economic groups; the input they provided and how that has been addressed in the Element.
Board of Supervisors Hearing on 2021-2029 Housing Element NEW!
Held virtually on October 12, 2021 at 3:30 PM
The Board Letter and Exhibits (Agenda Item #30) associated with the 2021-2029 Housing Element can be accessed on the Board of Supervisors Meeting Agenda webpage for the October 12th hearing.
The Board hearing provided simultaneous translation in Spanish and Mixteco.
See the video presentation in English, Spanish, and Mixteco
Planning Commission Hearing on the Updated Housing Element NEW!
Held virtually on September 2, 2021 at 8:30 AM
The Planning Commission Staff Report and Exhibits associated with the Updated Housing Element can be found on the Planning Commission Hearings Webpage.
This item of the Planning Commission hearing provided simultaneous translation in Spanish.
See the video presentation in English, and Spanish.
Board of Supervisors Hearing on the Draft Housing Element
Held on February 9, 2021 at 3:00 PM via Zoom
Video Presentation was streamed on Facebook in English (starting at the 1 hour and 16 minute mark) and in Spanish
The Board Letter and Exhibits (Agenda Item #39) associated with the Draft Housing Element Update can be found on the Board of Supervisors Meeting Agenda webpage for the February 9th hearing.
Housing Element Update Timeline
The project schedule, which includes public hearings and deliverables, is outlined below. The Housing Element will cover a planning period of 2021-2029 and was adopted by the Board of Supervisors on October 12, 2021 and certified by HCD on December 22, 2021.
Housing Element Draft for Public Review
Board of Supervisors Hearing on Draft Housing Element
HCD 60-day Review
HCD 2nd 60-day Review
Planning Commission Hearing on Final Housing Element Draft
Board of Supervisors Hearing on Final Housing Element Draft
HCD 90-day Review
- Housing Element Frequently Asked Questions
- 2020 California Housing Legislation Update Presentation to the Board of Supervisors – On February 25, 2020, Planning Division staff provided an update to the Board of Supervisors on new state housing bills that went into effect January 1, 2019. A link to the staff report and a legislative summary can be found here. The video presentation can be accessed on the Board of Supervisors website here (Meeting Date 2/25/2020, Agenda Item #52).
- SCAG 2019 Demographic Profile of Unincorporated Ventura County
- The Local Profile reports provided by SCAG contain a variety of demographic, economic, education, housing and transportation information about the unincorporated County of Ventura.
- Housing Element Annual Progress Report - The preparation and submittal of the Housing Element Annual Progress Report to the state Housing and Community Development Department and Governor’s Office of Planning and Research is required by State law. The Annual Report documents past housing-related activities and may identify the timing of upcoming activities. Annual Progress Reports from the past five years are found here.
- Final Statewide Housing Assessment 2015 - This is a report by HCD which contains data and analysis describing California’s housing challenges, incorporates public feedback, and provides recommendations and a Housing Action Plan to address those challenges.