County of Ventura Film Permit Requirements and Process
The County has resumed accepting film permit applications. For reference to COVID-19 related guidelines and public health orders refer to the links below.
- Film Permit Overview in Response to COVID-19
- Attestation Statement for Compliance with County Health Officer Requirements (must be signed and uploaded with permit application)
- Video Instructions for Submitting a Film Permit Application
- Film Activity Days and Permit Types (Non-Coastal Zone only)
The County of Ventura requires all commercial film productions to obtain a Ventura County Film Permit for all filming activities within the unincorporated areas of Ventura County (including private property). The film production company or property owner must apply for a film permit for any filming activities including, but not limited to: feature films, TV series, TV movies, commercials, music videos, still photography, and web productions.
Westworld HBO Series filming at Big Sky Movie Ranch near Simi Valley
Film Permit Locations in Ventura County
Filming for personal use such as family events, weddings, graduations, parties, and other holiday activities are exempt from obtaining a film permit. Student film productions may also be exempt from obtaining a film permit. Please see the Frequently Asked Questions to determine if a student film production qualifies for this exemption.
Film Permit General Information
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Film Permit Fee Calculator - if using Firefox, please use other browser to fill-out this form.
- Film Permitting for Ventura County Coastal Area
- Sample Site Map
The Planning Division’s Film Permit Monthly Report is now accessible on the County of Ventura Citizen Access website. This report provides detailed information regarding all Film Permits issued by the County of Ventura Planning Division within the past 30 days. To view the report, you must register for a user account. If you need assistance in locating the report, please refer to the HELP page titled, “Reports Available in Citizen Access”, on the right hand side of the Citizens Access website.
Film Permit Application Forms
- Film Permit Application has been removed - Starting January 2, 2018, all Film Permit Applications will need to be submitted online. Please visit the County of Ventura Citizen Access website and see the Film Permits information there.
- Property Owner Authorization Form
Film Permit with Waivers
A film permit with waivers is required when a film production exceeds any of the thresholds (e.g. overnight filming, excessive noise, etc.)
- Waiver Instructions
- Waiver Statement Form
- Waiver Statement Form (Spanish)
- Sample Completed Waiver Statement Form
Film Permit Amendment
A film permit amendment, or "rider," is for minor changes after a film permit has been approved and issued.
- Fire Questionnaire
Required for every film permit. Send to the Ventura County Fire Department.
- Contact List
Contact information for County agencies, city contacts, etc.
- Agent Authorization Form
Required if an agent signs on behalf of the property owner.
- Transportation Department: Encroachment Permits
Required when filming on County roads or right-of-ways.
- Ventura County GIS Map
Search for locations, addresses, APNs, jurisdictions, and more on an interactive map.
- Physical Address and APN Search: Tax Collector's Website
- What's My Zoning?
Search by APN only.
- Property Owner Information
Search for the current owner of a property.