Welcome to RMA

The Resource Management Agency strives to ensure that its customer service standards are consistent with the Agency’s Mission Statement:

The mission of the Resource Management Agency, in cooperation with the public and our partner agencies, is to protect the consumer and community’s health, safety, and environment by carrying out adopted laws and policies, and educating, assisting, and empowering Ventura County residents and businesses to be good stewards of the land and our resources.


In addition, RMA has identified those core values which will guide us in carrying out our mission. These values are directly related to our customer service and include:

  • Honesty, hard work, and ethical behavior

  • Transparency and accountability

  • Equitable treatment and respect of all constituents

  • Excellence in service delivery

Backflow Tester Refresher Courses:

The VC Environmental Health Division (VCEHD) has made revisions to the Backflow Assembly Testing Program in accordance with the adoption of the State Water Resources Control Board’s (SWRCB) Cross-Connection Control Policy Handbook (CCCPH). Due to these changes, the VCEHD will no longer offer or require refresher courses from testers looking to re-register with this Division.

Registered applicants are responsible for maintaining the continuous validity of all necessary licenses and certificates. Failure to keep these credentials current may lead to the invalidation of their VCEHD backflow assembly tester registration.

Where can I get a list of certified backflow prevention assembly testers?

Download the list from this link: Certified Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester List

Where can I take a course to receive training on how to test a backflow prevention assembly?

Ventura County:

Ventura Community College 
Water Science V16 Course – Water Quality Protect and Control

Los Angeles County:

University of Southern California Foundation for Cross-Connection Control and Hydraulic Research 
Backflow Tester Training Course & Cross-Connection Control Specialist Course

Throughout California:

California-Nevada Section of the American Water Works Association (AWWA)

American Backflow Prevention Association (ABPA)

How do I make changes to backflow prevention assembly records?

Did you receive a notice to test a backflow you are no longer responsible for? Use the “Report Change of Backflow Ownership” form on our new website.

Did you install a new or replacement backflow prevention assembly? Backflows must be tested upon installation, replacement, repair, or relocation and, at a minimum, annually thereafter. To report a new installation or a replacement, please have your backflow tested by a registered backflow prevention assembly tester. Backflow testers may submit new and replacement information via Ventura County Citizen Access or the Ventura County Backflow Test app.

How do I obtain the Backflow Testing Form for my assembly?

Paper test forms are no longer accepted for annual backflow assembly test reporting. Test results are now submitted through the Ventura County Citizen Access portal or the Ventura County Backflow Test mobile phone app. by your Certified Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester

How do I obtain a list of Approved Backflow Prevention Assemblies?

The list of approved backflow prevention assemblies may be viewed online at the University of Southern California Foundation for Cross-Connection Control and Hydraulic Reasearch. To check if a specific backflow assembly is on the list call 805-654-2436 or e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

How do I become a certified backflow tester?

With the July 1, 2024 adoption of the Cross-Connection Control Policy Handbook, VCEHD is no longer certifying backflow testers. Backflow testers must be certified by an ANSI-accredited certifying organization recognized by the CA State Water Resources Control Board (e.g. AWWA, etc.).

To obtain a list of certifying organizations, please contact the SWRCB

I am already a certified backflow tester. How do I register with VCEHD to submit test reports?

To register with VCEHD, you will need to complete the registration application located in the “Certified Backflow Tester Information Tab” on our new website. Please note you will be required to provide pdf copies of your valid certification from an ANSI-accredited organization and proof of gauge calibration performed within the last 12 months.